After gathering some heart rate data during a 5K on the treadmill yesterday, I started wondering just how fast do I need to run to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Since I am still young, I am cursed by having to run a 3:10:59 marathon to even step foot at the starting line in Boston. This equates to a 7:18/mi pace.
I finished my 5K in 21:44, which works out to 6:59/mi, but I couldn't imagine running anywhere near that pace for much longer. In fact, using The McMillan Running Calculator someone hoping to finish a marathon in 3:10:59 should be able to run a 5K in 19:35 (6:18/mi).
This lead me to the question, is qualifying something that is genetic or is this something that can be trained? Maybe it's a combination of both. I would like to think that qualifing is something that can be trained for, but how does one go about training to find that kind of endured speed? What combination of increased weekly mileage and speed work is required? Maybe the secret is mental, learning to endure the pain that comes with running at these speeds.
I would certainly embrace the chance to run the Boston Marathon, but it only holds the runner-up position of races I would like to run. The questions I pose are simple compared to the questions about training to qualify for the number one race on my list: Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii.
Once I figure out the answers I'll share my knowledge, but until then I'll be left pondering and constantly moving forward.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree part of it has to do with nature. Some people are genetically predisposed to certain activities. However, for most of us, I think training is king. If someone was dedicated enough, they could train their bodies for just about anything. Mountain climbing, marathons, we have all heard the amazing feats 'ordinary' people have accomplished. It is just a question if you want it enough. You certainly know the rigors and rewards of training for the Ironman. I bet it is not something you just wake up and decide to do the same morning.
ReplyDeleteGood luck in your training.